In the heart of Moray local government council area (LGCA) of Scotland is rightly located the relatively small city of Elgin. The city which doubles as the administrative and commercial centre for Moray was originally created as a Royal Burgh in the 12th century by King David I of Scotland.
The beautiful city is located towards the south end of the river Lossie and has a population of over 20,000 people of different races living in harmony.
Listed below are 10 highlights of the city any intending visitor or tourist should watch out for.
- The Elgin Cathedral: This historic religious structure was constructed in the 13th century in the city and is famous for being regarded as the most beautiful cathedral in the whole of Scotland in the past. Till date it still remains a notable place to visit for detailed historic information and site seeing as an overview of the city can be seen from some points in the cathedral.
- Pluscarden Abbey is a world famous monastery that belongs to the Roman Catholics located about 10 kilometres south-west of Elgin. The Pluscarden Abbey is a religious centre that is quite important to Elgin as it contributes greatly to the influx of visitors to the environment thereby improving the economy of the city through tourism or transportation and hospitality.
- The Spynie Palace is another historic site in Elgin. It is interchangeably known as Spynie Castle. The castle was known to be the fortified seat of the Bishops of Moray for an estimated period of about 500 years and remains a monument till date.
- The Duffus Castle which situated close to Elgin is also a monument and historic heritage to visit for site seeing.
- The PlayBarn which is located at Greenfields is indeed a nice place to consider for children play and fun times. As the name implies, it is a lovely play site for children of all ages.
- Burghead is another small neighbouring town located about 8 miles north-west of Elgin where tourists can visit. The town is note worth as many ancient artefacts, fossils and treasures have been recently discovered in the small town. Burghead is considered by the National Museum of Scotland as a significant site of interest as it is currently carrying out continuous research and study in the vicinity.
- Economy: Another major factor to consider in any destination is its economy and the relatively small city of Elgin boasts of a buoyant economy. A large percentage of the working population of Elgin are employed by the royal air force while the local authority, construction companies, real estate, food and beverages sector, tourism, transportation, business and consultation services, wholesale and retail among others serve as means of employment to others.
- Education: The city of Elgin is particularly encouraging in terms of education as it plays hosts to quite a large number of both public and private institutions of learning at all levels from nursery, to primary, secondary and even has the Moray College located in Moray Street for further education.
- Social life: Elgin is a social hub as it is packed with a handful of socially useful institutions like museums, libraries, churches, hospitals, golf clubs, golf ranges and a lot more.
- Recreation and relaxation: The peaceful city of Elgin has a number of cool relaxation spots where sporting and fishing activities can be engaged in. Lovers of fishing activities could find Lossiemouth town which used to be an important and famous fishing port in Elgin city an interesting place to visit. Hopeman village was also widely known as one of the commercial fishing spots very close to Elgin. Hopeman is a seaside village in Moray, Scotland.
- Friendly environment: It is a no brainier that the people of Elgin are peace loving and friendly people.
- Security: The city is relatively secured with a very low rate of crime and vices reported.
However, it is important to note that to get the best out of a visit to the city and all it has to offer, getting a reliable, renowned, efficient and affordable transport service like Elgin taxis to tour guide you would be an advantage. Taxis in Elgin would pick you up from your location and convey you to your destination giving you maximum satisfaction along your journey. For the best of transport services in the city, you can visit www.elgintaxis.co.uk for 24 hours chauffeuring services to eease your navigation needs in and around Elgin.